Sunday 29 October 2017

Jumbo prawns with 3 root mash





I’ve never tried a slimming diet but have always used a simple cooking method when I see my waistline and tummy expanding. For maybe two days a week I simply cook my main meal of vegetables with fish or meat steamed so I can still enjoy my indulgent food.

I used my 3 tiered steamer (the best £11.99p spent for a simple hob steamer from Wilko).

Prepare veg:

Peel and cut into wedges then thin slices 1 medium white potato, half a medium sweet potato and a qaurter of a small swede.

In the base of the steamer put 200ml boiled water and 2 tsp fennel seeds. In the next tier add the above root veg along with one peeled, top, tailed and quartered red onion around the sides. Top with 3 unpeeled, uncooked frozen jumbo prawns. Heat your hob on high and begin cooking with the lid on.

Prepare the next tier - in the middle add 1 portion of frozen grated carrot (I get a packet of carrots, grate them all then freeze them into portion sizes to use like this because I find carrots do not remain firm for very long and I hate waste).

Shred 1 pointed cabbage leaf and place along the edges. Arrange a few frosen broccoli florets, broad beans, green beans, and peas around the carrot or whatever greens you fancy. Put this tier in place and steam all for 15 minutes.

Turn off the heat, remove the top tier and put the lid on top to keep hot whilst you mash the root veg adding freshly a portion of my rosemary garlic butter (see this recipe Kangeroo steaks with rosemary garlic butter ; how much you use depends on your guilt level).

Plate up, drizzling 1 tsp olive oil on the non root veg and sprinkle on some roasted butternutsquash seeds (also described in my recipe Kangeroo steaks with rosemary garlic butter; omit if you are being saintly for your figures sake, but you need a bit of classy taste because you’re worth it). 

Remove head, tail and the crunchy outside layer of the jumbo prawns to enjoy. Uncooked prawns used like this have more flavour than the regular cooked scimpy processed packaged variety. You will also need a finger bowl to rinse your hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment