Saturday 3 February 2018

Tomato chickpea hash


.
.



 

Rinse and halve 1 red, green and yellow bell peppers. Remove the seeds, thick pith and main stems.

Put in a baking dish with cut sides down and brush with olive oil then bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at 180 fan / 200 C / Gas 7.

 

When I am baking squash and butternutsquash seeds I always bake
 the seeds alongside as I frequently use some of them as a topping and fridge them until required.  For this dish I used 1tsp of each dried cumin and turmeric sprinkled over the single layered seeds in a small baking dish then brush on 1 tsp of olive oil and I baked them. Squash seeds are larger so they take 15 minutes. If I used butternutsquash seeds I would bake them for 10 minutes 180 fan / 200 C / Gas 7.

 

Meantime heat on the hob in a large saucepan on high for 1 minute stirring to combine– 1 diced tomato (seeds removed,) 1tbsp quinoa, 1 tbsp bulghur wheat, 1 tsp each red and green lentils, a can of mackeral fillets in tomato sauce (or sardines), 1 drained can of chickpeas and 2tbsp of the drained salted water, a handful of rinsed spinach. Add a lid and reduce the heat to low / med heat for 14 minutes stirring occasionally to thicken the mix. NB I also had retained 4 tbsp.of baked squash from a previous meal which I added for additional flavour and thickening of the hash. It's easy to make a habit of this with mashed veg eg sweet potato, turnip, butternutsquash, white potato etc as a natural thickener rather than use flour.

 

To serve, turn the peppers to cut side up and spoon  the above mix evenly into the cavities. Top with Kale Crisps ( I often reserve fridged portions of this as a topping for savoury dishes). Add a generous portion of the squash seeds and a drizzle of olive oil. Serves 2.
.
.
//







 










No comments:

Post a Comment