Tuesday 9 January 2018

Baked stuffed squash

.
.



 

Wash a medium green or orange squash – your choice. Top and tail with a sharp knife to allow for ‘sit position’ on a metal trivet. Centrally half the squash, remove and discard the seeds inside. Sprinkle half tsp dried sumac into each cavity. Place the squash on a trivet in a deep baking tray with 100ml of cold water in the tray to allow the squash to steam bake in a preheated oven 180fan oven / 200C for 35 minutes.

 

Meantime prepare the filling by grating 1 carrot and 3 cloves of garlic, dice half a rinsed leek. Heat 200ml vegetable stock on a hob to boiling point in a large saucepan. Add the veg and garlic to the boiling stock.

 

Stir in 1tbsp 3 coloured quinoa (red, white, black), 1tsp capers, quarter tsp each of fennel seeds and chia seeds.  

Turn the heat down to low and leave with a lid on for 15 minutes.

Make a lighter pesto by blitzing 1 tbsp each of cashew nuts, olive oil, chopped basil and mint leaves until smooth. (Or use a shop bought pesto).

 

When the squash has been baked for 35 minutes, remove from the oven.

If required sieve any liquid from the quinoa mixture as you don’t want it to be a gloopy mixture then fill each squash cavity generously.

Top each squash cup with 1 sundried tomato, half the pesto (or 1 tbsp shop bought) then a slice of buffalo mozzarella cheese.

Return to the hot oven and bake a further 10 minutes to melt the cheese.

Before serving freshly grate some black pepper onto the cheese.

Serves a generous 1 or a snack for 2.
.
.
O

I haven't replaced my microwave which became defunked - long story short. The workmen wouldn't plumb my new washing machine in so I attempted to do it myself starting by removing the side supporting board of the kitchen bench. I didn't realise this was the only bench support. It promptly fell on my head bringing the microwave on top of it fell and died also. I haven't really missed the microwave and find the oven just as good and dare I say a bit tastier.

Any way here's successful microwaved recipe from my Just Microwave blog which I liked doing.







 




 
MY MOST READ YEAR 2017 POEM - Nature’s Splendour erupt by Rosemary Ditchburn

My January 2018 poems:


Look beyond what they really are by Rosemary Ditchburn


Without much thought of I by Rosemary Ditchburn


Banging in the new year by Rosemary Ditchburn

 




No comments:

Post a Comment