Tuesday 22 December 2015

Parsnip and Spinach soup



Vegetable oil,

1 knob butter,

1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped,

2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped,

1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped,

1 tablespoon garam masala,

6 parsnips, peeled and chopped into chunks,

1 litre vegetable stock,

Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper,

1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced,

2 handfuls fresh spinach leaves,

tsp's natural yoghurt

optional crusty bread, to serve


Heat a splash of oil and the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and garam masala. Gently fry for around 10 minutes, until the onions are soft and sweet.

Drop in the chopped parsnip and spinach leaves and stir together so that everything gets coated in the oil and flavours. Pour in the stock, season well and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes with a lid on.

After half an hour, check that the parsnips are cooked by sticking a knife in. If you’re happy, remove them from the heat and carefully whiz up using a hand blender or liquidizer. Taste the soup to see if it needs a little more salt or pepper.

Serve with 1tsp of natural yoghurt and sliced red chilli, if you like, and a good chunk of crusty bread.

Tip: Use 500ml coconut milk for a twist.

My latest pudding recipe No butter chocolate pudding

My June 2017 poems

My May 2017 poems

My April 2017 poems

My March 2017 poems

My February 2017 poems

My January 2017 poems

My year 2016 poems

Poems wot I wrote

No comments:

Post a Comment